Courtesy iBerkshires - Jack Guerino
ADAMS, Mass. — A fire at a home on Water Street early Wednesday afternoon severely damaged the 80-year-old structure leaving a family homeless.
Firefighters responded to 9 Water St. at about 12:30 p.m. and were able to quickly gain control over the blaze.
"The fire was coming out so we hit it from the outside and got it under control," Adams Fire Chief John Pansecchi said. "Then we sent guys in in crews. They went upstairs. There was no fire up there then we just started hitting all of the hot spots ... It went well."
Pansecchi said the homeowner was evaluated but there were no serious injuries.
"The owner complained of a little injury and got checked out for smoke inhalation but otherwise no injuries," he said.
Pansecchi said there were three pets in the house. Two were able to escape but one is still missing.
Once the firefighters knocked down the blaze, smoke continued to billow out of the home in the dense neighborhood. It continued to smolder into the afternoon.
Much of the smoke subsided around 2 p.m.
Pansecchi said he does not believe the single-family house can be salvaged.
"From what I can tell, I haven't been in there yet, but it appears to be a total loss," he said. "There was heavy fire throughout when we got here."
More photos here.