By Staff Reporters
ADAMS, Mass. — A relaxing hot tub soak could have turned into a tragedy on Wednesday night when the unit's motor malfunctioned.
Firefighters responded to what was reported as an electrical problem with a hot tub about 9:24 p.m. The quick response of a relative of the homeowner, who also happens to be an assistant fire chief, is credited with keeping it under control.
"He got here quick. By the time he got here, he had fire showing in the cellar around the hot tub, around all the wood that contained the hot tub," said Fire Chief Paul Goyette.
The owners had seen smoke but at first thought it was steam coming off the water, he said. When they realized it was a fire, they immediately put in the call.
It took about four fire extinguishers and 50 gallons of water to completely douse the blaze. There was some difficulty in venting the smoke, which continued to spill from the single family home for about an hour.
"It was a good knockdown," Goyette said.
Despite the small size of the blaze, a full contingent was one scene, including equipment and personnel from the Forest Wardens, Cheshire and Savoy. Narrow Walling Road lies outside the Fire District and Goyette said he wanted the right equipment on hand.
"There's no hydrants, so that's why I called for tanker and I would have called for more if it was worse," he said.
Adams Police and Adams Ambulance Service also responded. There was minimal water damage to the house.
"The hot tub is totaled, it will never be used again," Goyette said, adding jokingly, "nor would they want to put another one in there."