ADAMS — Five people were displaced Thursday night after a fire damaged a home on Gilead Street.
The call came in at 7:41 p.m. about a fire in the basement, according to Adams Fire Chief John Pansecchi. Firefighters could smell wood burning but couldn't find any fire there. But they did find a fire behind a bathroom wall in a first-floor apartment.
Firefighters broke through the interior and exterior walls on the first and second floors to extinguish the blaze.
"With temperatures in the single digits the ground around the firefighters was icing over, causing a fall hazard," Pansecchi said in a Facebook post. "No serious injuries were reported and all units cleared the scene around 9:30 p.m."
Pansecchi said the cause was a short in an electric wire inside the wall.
Fire departments from Cheshire and Clarksburg aided the effort, as did Adams Police, the Adams Water Department and the Adams Department of Public Works. Also, the American Red Cross responded to assist displaced occupants.
This fire occurred one day after a house fire on Water Street. Two people and three dogs were displaced, and one other dog died in the fire.