Soon the snow will be falling and mounting up and up and up...please remember to clean out those little yellow friends near your house or street corner, they are much happier if they do not have snow within 3 feet of them!....become part of the 2nd annual Hydrant Helper - fire hydrant snow clearing contest hosted by the Alert Hose Company and the Adams Fire Department. Thank you to AJ's Trailside Pub and Bounti-Fare Restaurant for the continued community support. Be safe and enjoy!....please share with friends and family.
This is a powerful video featuring 911 dispatch and helmet camera footage of the rescue of a young girl in a house fire. This real-life rescue showcasing the great work of Fairfax County Fire and Rescue firefighters provides a significant example of why people should Close Before You Doze. Still not convinced after watching this compelling, true-story video or just want more information on CBYD, visit https://firstresponders.closeyourdoor.org/.
Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2020 4:12 pm
Courtesy: Haven Orecchio-Egresitz, The Berkshire Eagle
ADAMS — A couple and their adult son were displaced Tuesday after an early morning fire broke out in their single-family home, according to Fire Chief John Pansecchi.
Firefighters responding to 20 Hathaway St. shortly after 6 a.m. found fire coming out of a first-floor window. There was a "quick transitional attack" that knocked down the fire, which appears to have started in the entryway to the home.
The home was likely a total loss, according to the the homeowner, Sandra Robert.
"Strangely, I woke up when I heard what sounded like a loud banging sound in the wall. It sounded like someone had pounded the wall and it woke me." Robert said from the home of another son a few hours later. "I smelled what smelled like burning rubber, like burning wires."
Robert said she woke up her husband, David, and they went to a hallway outlet where they believed the smell was coming from.
"It was shooting flames. We tried to put it out," she said. "Within seconds it was burning the stairways and the upstairs and then the smoke started."
The couple woke up their son, Ryan, and evacuated with their dog, Coco. Their two cats remain missing.
"The family was in the house at the time [the fire began]," Pansecchi said. "They were outside already when we got there."
One resident was treated for smoke inhalation and released, the chief said.
The fire "appears to be electrical in nature, but is still under investigation," he said.
Mutual aid from Cheshire and North Adams assisted in the response and station coverage, he said.
Assessors records indicate that the home was most recently valued at $103,500.
Robert said that the American Red Cross and friends have offered assistance and she and her husband are working on securing housing.
She doesn't believe that any of their belongings can be salvaged.
Robert's son Kane was already hosting a Roaring 20s/Great Gatsby-themed semi-formal at Bounti Fare restaurant on Feb. 1. On Tuesday he announced that the event will now be a fundraiser for his family.
"The event will still be Gatsby-themed but with new purpose," he wrote on the Facebook event page.
ADAMS, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -- Authorities are looking into what sparked a fire at a multi-family home in Adams early Sunday morning.
According to Adams Fire Chief John Pansecchi, crews were called to the area of Edmunds Street around 1:50 a.m. for a report of a laundry room fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters entered the second floor of a multi-family home where they found heavy heat and fire.
They were able to vent the floor completely before attacking the fire.
Chief Pansecchi says that the four occupants that resided in the second floor apartment will have to look for other means of shelter.
One apartment sustained smoke and water damage while the other apartment only sustained smoke damage.
A total of five additional occupants that resided in the remaining apartments will have to look for temporary shelter until their residences are deemed habitable.
The American Red Cross is assisting all nine occupants.
Members of the Cheshire, North Adams, and Clarksburg Fire Departments, as well as the Adams Police and the Adams and North Ambulances, were all called in to assist.
While the cause of the fire remains under investigation, Chief Pansecchi adds that the fire originated in the area of the dryer and the laundry room vent.